Darjeeling is the headquarters of Darjeeling district in West Bengal, India. It is a famous hill city and tourist destination in India. It is situated at an altitude of about 7000 feet. Darjeeling also called Queen of Hills. Also, the district is famous for its Tea Industries. The world-famous “Darjeeling Tea” Produce here.
From here, The world’s third-highest mountain Kanchenjunga clear visible from this place. One of the Indian Old “Toy train” runs here and attract tourist. The place also provides an eye-catching valley and rivers.
Other Hand Kalimpong is also a beautiful city. It is situated at an altitude of about 4200 feet. It is also called a Gorkha Land. Kalimpong is famous for its flower land, especially Orchids.
How To Reach Darjeeling?
By Air: The nearest airport is Bagdogra Airport and is well connected with all Indian Major cities. So from any Indian city, you can easily reach Bagdogra. At the outside of the airport, you can book a cab and easily reach it. The distance of about 90-95 km and it will take approx 3hrs.
By Train: The nearest Railway station is New Jalpaiguri. This Railway station is also well connected with all Indian Major cities. By road, it is a distance of about 75 km and it will take approx 2.5hrs to reach Darjeeling.
Or The most adventurous Toy Train service available from Njp to Darjeeling. It will take more time, But the journey will be more exciting. If your first-timer, then you definitely chose this route. It will be a lifetime experience.
By Road: The District is Very well connected by road from all over India. You can easily reach there If you comfortable driving on Hill roads. If you coming 1st time, then drive slowly and safely on this Road and Enjoy your Road trip.
Places to visit in Darjeeling :
- Tiger Hill: Tiger Hill is 11-12 km from Darjeeling City. The Point is known as Sunrise Point. In the early morning, you can views the peaks of Kanchenjunga are illuminated before the sun is seen at lower elevations.
- Ghoom Monastery: Ghoom is a very popular monastery in Darjeeling. Here you will find 15 feet tall Statue of Lord Buddha. It also called the name is Yoga Choeling.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute: The institute is established by Edmund Hillary. Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay first time climbed Mt.Everest in 1953. Mr.Hillary Built the HMI in Darjeeling to commemorate the success of Sherpa Tenzing Norgay. Tenzing was the 1st director. From this time to till now, the institute trains various types of climbing activities.
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park: This Zoo is the largest high altitude zoo in India. The park is named after Padmaja Naidu, daughter of Sarojini Naidu. This is also called the Darjeeling Zoo. It specializes in reading animals adapted to alpine conditions and has successful captive breeding programs for the Snow Leopard, Himalayan Wolf, and Red Panda.
- 5. Tenzing Rock: It’s a natural rock and it’s named after Tenzing Norgay. This rock usually uses for rock climbing training.
- Chitty Tea Garden: Chitty Tea garden is a famous tea garden in Darjeeling and here you can do rafting also.
- Japanese Temple: It is 10 min distance from Darjeeling Town. The temple is basically a Buddhist Temple which is also known as The Nipponzan Myhoji Buddhist temple. The temple was built in a Japanese traditional style.
- Peace Pagoda: Peace pagoda is a Buddha temple. Here you can see four avatars of Lord Buddha. Also from here, you can see the panoramic vies of the Darjeeling landscape and Kanchenjunga snow-capped Peaks.
Places to visit in Kalimpong
- Deolo Hill: Deolo and Durpin are two connecting Hill. They stand opposite each other. The Kalimpong city stands between these hills. From the Deolo hill viewpoint, you can see all the surrounding villages of Relli valley and the Teesta River.
- Durpin Hill: Durpin is a hill that stands opposite Deolo Hill. From this hill, you can view The snow-capped Himalayan ranges, West Sikkim, Jelepla Pass, and Teesta River and its valley. Here also a Monastery situated called The Zang Dhok Palri Monastery.
- Science city: In science city is very informative. And also you will find here Dinosaur Park. It attracts people very much.
4. Pine view Cactus Nursery: In pine view Nursery, you will see various typesCactus under the same Roof.
Darjelling and Kalimpong tour plan / Itinerary
Day 1: From Bagdogra Airport/Njp Railway station book a private taxi or by Toy train reach Darjeeling and check into Hotel. Evening time spends in the Darjeeling market. Overnight stay there.
Day 2: Wake up early morning by 4 am and start your journey towards Tiger Hill Sunrise Point. See the Sunrise between the peaks of the Himalayan ranges. After that proceed to Ghoom Monastery. Then come back to the hotel and take breakfast. After that proceed to visit Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Padmaja Naidu Himalayan zoological park, Tenzing Rock, Chitrey tea garden, Japanese temple, and Peace pagoda. In the Afternoon time do shopping in the Mall market in Darjeeling.
Day 3: In the morning, after breakfast check out from the hotel and proceed to Kalimpong. It is a distance of about 75 km and it will take 3hrs. After reach, Kalimpong, Check in to the Hotel and take a short rest. Then start your half-day tour around Kalimpong. At this time visit Deolo hill, Durpin Hill, Science city, Jang Dong Palriffo Brang monastery, and Pine view cactus Nursery. Then back to the Hotel and overnight stay there.
Day 4: In the morning time, check out from the hotel and proceed to NJp/Bagdogra.
Best time to visit
You can visit Darjeeling throughout the year. But the summer season from March to June is the best time to visit Darjeeling. If you like extreme cold weather, then go in between November to February.